Are you interested in taking a road trip this summer? With the cost of airfare going through the roof, getting in the car and driving is a great way to have fun while saving money traveling. That being said, just because you are taking a road trip does not necessarily mean you are going to automatically save – it takes some planning.
Here are several things that you can to do save money on your next road trip:
1. Take the car that gets the best gas mileage. If you have a Honda Accord and a Cadillac Escalade, which one are you going to take? While the SUV may be appealing, you can save tons on gas if you opt for the mid-size. Those with more than one car have a big decision to make before they ever hit the road.
2. Save gas while driving. No matter who is behind the wheel there are a few things that can be done to save money. They include: turning off the air conditioner and opening the windows; driving the speed limit; avoiding stop and go traffic; inflating tires to the proper pressure; and using cruise control.
3. Take food with you instead of stopping. It can be very tempting to stop along the way for fast food, drinks, and other treats. That being said, this is one of the quickest ways to blow your budget. On top of this, the more you stop the longer it is going to take for you to reach your destination.
4. Stay for free. How long will it take for you to reach your destination? If it is not possible to drive “straight through” you need to consider where you will be stopping to rest your head. Although a hotel or motel is the most obvious choice, it is also the one that is going to cost you the most money. Have you given any thought to camping? Not only is this free, but it can also be a lot of fun.
5. Have a plan before you leave. This should include everything from where you are going to stop to the route you will drive. Sure, being spontaneous can lead to tons of fun but at the same time it can lead to wasted money. If you drive 750 miles to reach your destination but could have made it there in 500 miles, you are spending more than you have to.
Traveling by plane is entirely too expensive for many people. This is particularly true if you are heading to a popular destination such as Hawaii, Australia, or Europe. When you compare the cost of air travel to how much you will spend on the road, it is easy to see that saving is more than possible.